This is how I write. It’s called Freytag’s pyramid and it’s a diagram of dramatic structure. I was creating stories this way long before I realized it was a real thing, but I figured it’d be a good idea to share since I often outline the progress of my novel using these terms.
1) Exposition/Introduction = Present setting, time and place, characters (protagonist-hero/heroine, antagonist-villian) and basic conflict.
2) Rising Action = Basic conflict becomes more complicated by obstacles.
3) Climax = Turning point , pr change, that has an effect , either for the better or worse, on the protagonist’s situations.
4) Falling Action = Conflict begins to resolve.
5) Conclusion (Also known as Denouement) = Protagonist achieves goal. Conflict resolves.